Wednesday, September 30, 2009

One Year

Today, one whole year has passed since my dad died. I've been thinking about a lot of things...about who my dad was, about how he influenced so much in my life, about that horrible day spent at the hospital one year ago yesterday and I really just don't know where to start or if I should write anything at all. How can I even sum him up in a few paragraphs on my blog? It is impossible. There is too much to say, yet I can't help but try to describe him and remember him.

Here are a few facts: He still carried his keys on a 25 year old key chain which said "Dad's Keys." One of my favorite times with him was when he tried to haggle at the thrift store for a $5.00 suit case. He used the term "twofers." If you haven't guessed from his love of the term twofers or the haggling at a thrift store, he was cheap. He always took advantage of senior discounts once he was eligible. He once tried to fill up two cars with his Fuel Perks discount at Giant Eagle and tried to use me as his accomplice. He got busted by a very sassy attendant. He drank a lot of coffee and he always drank it black. He didn't like to waste. After he died I found about 20 (I'm not exaggerating) Styrofoam coffee cups in the kitchen which he was 'reusing.' He was genuine and kind and patient and he really listened and I mean really. He was hilarious. He had a magnificent hearty laugh. He couldn't stand George W Bush. He had a mustache for most of my life. Two of his favorite shows were Scrubs and that Funniest Home Video Show. He remembered things about you most people forgot. One of my favorite things in the world was having lunch with him. I miss his voice and I wish words could properly describe the sound of it. I wish I had a recording of him saying something, even if it were just a voicemail message. I loved his handwriting. He loved Ohio State Football, but he wasn't one of those annoying fans that goes overboard. Two days before he died he took my 10 yr old nephew to his very first Ohio State game. He always bought his cars used. He loved cookies and ate too many of them, especially after he quit smoking. He smoked for 40 years. He was humble and even though he accomplished much in his career, he would still describe himself simply as a social worker. Anyone who knew him knew he was so much more than that. If Carl Brauner was the one helping you pick yourself up off your feet...you had landed in the right place. He was more selfless than anyone else I have ever known. He died way too soon.

I know I have blogged a lot about my dad this past year...and I appreciate that you have stuck around as I wander through and make sense out of grief. It helps me to write here. I can't help but write about him and I doubt this will be the last time. He is a part of what makes up this blog now and what makes up me.

This morning I went to the cemetery for the very first time. I decided to take snickerdoodles instead of flowers to set at dad's grave. At the grocery store, the sign above the cookies read: "Life's Short. Eat Cookies." I couldn't have said it any better.

6 comments:

jamil said...

Hey Amanda, I for one really like reading these stories about yr dad, and think you do him real tribute. You give a real sense of how wonderful and human he was to people who never had the honor of knowing him. You do him proud.

Amanda said...

Wow Jamil...I don't know that I ever thought about it like that, although now that I think about it, it is exactly what I want to do. I'm glad it is more than just me who enjoys my dad stories!

Cara said...

Jamil said it perfectly... Keep writing about him as long as it feels right.

katie said...

Amanda, you do give a wonderful tribute to your dad. Your tone is so loving and admirable with a touch of bittersweet humor. Thanks for sharing with us.

diane said...

I agree--I love all the stories about your dad--I wish I would have had the chance to know him better!

maryann0094 said...

Amanda - It was nice reading about your dad. He sounds like an awesome person. - Mary Ann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...