Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Return of Part Time Crafter Tips

Several months ago (perhaps almost a year ago, but who's counting?) I started a mini-series on this blog where I thought I would offer up some tips to fellow part time crafters...mainly because it is hard to squeeze in time for creativity and craftiness when you've got a million other things to do. Since I've been at this for a little while now, I thought I would share what works for me. Even if it is common sense, it took me a while to figure out how to create a work-life-craft balance.

Thing is, I kinda forgot about my tips and only ever offered one.

But it's a new year and so I'm bringing them back and hopefully I won't forget about them this time!

Part Time Crafter Tip #2: Make something you can start and finish!
I like to be challenged, but when you have limited time and you have a room full of half made quilts, forget all that and just make something like a pillow. Just because you make something quick does not mean you are abandoning the challenging stuff! Some days are just NOT for challenges especially if you only have a couple hours and need some instant satisfaction at the end of a stressful work day. Here are some places to go for something quick and fun to make:
And here are a few ideas to get you off your seat and on to the sewing machine:
  • Pillows
  • Pillow covers
  • Cloth Napkins -tutorials here and also in Amy Karol's book.
  • Rag Doll -a great free pattern from the black apple is here (Update 1/30/09: but enlarge it by more than 150%, see this post).
  • Coasters -great tutorials here, here, and even appliqued ones here.
  • Make a skirt -Amy Karol has a great 5 minute skirt pattern available FREE on her site, which I've tested and give a thumbs up! If you don't have the elastic she uses you could just do a fold over waste band.
Hope there is something here for my fellow part time crafters!

And with that I am headed to my sewing machine today...Libraries are closed, so I definitely see some sewing in my future!

1 comment:

Cat Herself said...

One day, probably 18 years ago? I was scheduled to work 12-9 at the CFD. When I got up that morning, I decided that what I really wanted to wear was a black skirt, but I didn't have one. I did, however, have some fabric, elastic and a sewing machine. I made a skirt in about an hour. I remember my roomie (Annie) laughing a little at me, but hey, I needed a black skirt!

One-hour projects are great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...