Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

When I was growing up, my dad worked on Thanksgiving. As a director of a community center, he put on a gigantic community meal every year that served hundreds of people. Sometimes my mom and brother and I went too and helped out in small ways. Often we just went to be around my dad when he was busy working, doing something he loved. The community center was in a former Catholic school building and I vividly remember playing behind the curtains on a stage in the gym, curiously exploring while things were being set up. Looking back now, I see what a strong example his work was for me and I am so thankful for that. Sharing a meal is such a special event and Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate community as well as family. So if you haven't yet, please remember to give a little something to your community this holiday season as well. I think now more than ever this is so important.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great memory! I am thankful to have it to think about today. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Thanksgiving, to you, David, Pudge, Lola, Chicken and the rest of your family!

erica said...

This is a wonderful story.... I am thankful for so many things, and especially for people like your father.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...