Monday, September 13, 2010

Moments

It is so easy to get caught up in the rush of life and let the smallest moments of your life slip by unnoticed. We all do it. But I want to try and be better at acknowledging the moment. Even if it is horrible or boring or awkward.

Tonight, after Eliza was in bed and after David and I caught up on Mad Men for the week, we lingered on the couch and debated the merits of unloading the dishwasher tonight or tomorrow morning before work. I mistakenly started to say: “Don’t put off until today what you can do tomorrow.” In case you don’t know, I am a rather excellent quote/idiom-butcherer. Finally, I told David I would unload it if he just sat in the kitchen with me. And so I did, and he followed. When I was finished, he started reloading. We were like a machine, our routine completely effortless for all the time we spent putting it off. Then I started to do a very uncoordinated cheerleading routine that was straight-up ridiculous and solidifies me as a children’s librarian, in case there is any doubt. I leaned against the counter and we just talked about this and that. I’m pretty sure there was some ribbing about who is the better dishwasher loader (me, of course). If I hadn’t been so aware at the time, the moment would have slipped right by. And maybe that isn’t so horrible, there is nothing earth-shattering here, but in that moment I just felt really good and content and I just want to remember that because it is so easy to forget, it kills me sometimes.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...