I've been tagged by friend and fellow blogger, Katie, to list 10 things that make me happy. I am having a lot of trouble keeping up with my blog these days, so I really needed this motivation to write something here. Reflecting on what makes me happy is also something I needed to do. I feel like I've been a bit of a downer these days. I blame it on the weather, but it can be tough to be happy sometimes, especially in winter. Writing down some happy thoughts made me realize I need to take a more proactive approach to happiness. I may need to print this list and carry it with me wherever go.
So here you go, 10 Things that make me Happy:
1. Lunch at the Nordstrom Cafe -It may be weird that I listed this first, but I have found that a quick fix for a crap day is to eat at Nordstroms, so I decided to list it first...Crab bisque, Caesar salad, bistro fries or the Black Forest Ham Sandwich. These are my happy foods, guaranteed to make a down and out day a little brighter. I haven't eaten there in a couple months...looks like I need to schedule myself a lunch date!
2. Family time -I really treasure being a family now and I think my favorite thing in the world is to just be at home with David and Eliza, doing nothing at all, just being the goofy bunch that we are. I also love when David and I balance each other out and when one of us cracks the other patches things up.
3. Date nights -As much as I love family time, I also miss the alone time which I now realize David and I completely took for granted for eight years. I am giddy on date nights. It occurs to me sometimes that it will be a LONG time before David and I will be alone like we used to be. By that time, when it finally happens, we will be a heck of a lot older and we will likely miss family time the way we miss our one-on-one time now.
4. Sewing -I love love love to sew and I miss it fiercely. I am not sewing nearly enough these days, but I've made a few changes this weekend and I am hoping it will result in more sewing and hopefully more crafty blog posts.
5. Remembering -I tend to romanticize the past. I can't help it! I love talking about people in my life that have touched me or made me laugh. I often repeat and retell the same old stories, again and again.
6. Reading out loud -I read out loud a lot for my job and I am thankful for that. There are days when sharing a story with a group of children can stop an unhappy day in its tracks. I love to read a great story, but nothing tops sharing a great story out loud with others.
7. Being Outside -I think one of the reasons I have such a tough time being happy during winter is because it is my least favorite time to be outside. I spent a good deal of time outside growing up and spent a lot of summers in the state of Washington. I am sure that impacted me a great deal. Sometimes a good walk can clear my head better than anything else.
8. Clothes -It's true, when I am wearing a kick ass outfit, I'm usually feeling pretty darn happy. I used to spend a lot more time shopping for clothes, but there isn't much time for that anymore, but maybe, in the name of my own happiness, I need to take myself on a shopping date?!
9. Writing -I've always been a writer. I don't write nearly enough these days...and I need to.
10. Antique/Thrift Stores -I like weird old crap. I've been known to wander antique stores when I am having a bad day and I love the thought of finding treasure among so much randomness.
So there you have it, ten happy things. I think I am going to use this as my guide, to help me get through the winter. I am smiling just thinking of some of these things. So what makes YOU happy? I'd like to know...that is, if you are still out there reading this long neglected blog of mine!
Consider yourself tagged if you are reading this.