Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bittersweet Father's Day

Today is my husband's first Father's Day. Already he is proving to be an amazing dad, as I knew he would be. We have always been a very 50/50 couple in terms of workload (somehow I lucked out and go a husband who does all the bills and laundry) and I think we are already this way as parents. He has saved me numerous times already with Eliza, jumping right in after a long day at work when I needed a break. It is weird though to celebrate Father's Day so soon after Eliza's arrival as we are such rookies. We are so clueless really and although we are getting more and more clued in as time goes by, I don't think either of us feels quite like a Father or Mother yet, but we are, and Eliza has a pretty awesome dad. I can't wait to watch their relationship unfold. The next few years are sure to be quite a fun adventure with David at our sides!

Today is also my first Father's Day without my dad and I cannot really celebrate Father's Day without mentioning him. It is a weird thing to not have a dad anymore. I feel entirely too young for that. I never got my dad gifts on Father's Day, but I always took a moment to write something in a card about what a great father he was or one of my favorite memories from childhood. If I were to write him something today, I would tell him I hope to be at least half the parent he was...that his example is guiding me as I fumble my way through this new adventure called parenthood and even though he isn't here to go with us, we plan on taking Eliza to air shows, and on train rides and if we ever get lost we will of course tell her we were just taking the scenic route. I miss you Dad...I know you are doing just fine up there...but I sure do wish you were still here and that you could meet Eliza.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

bittersweet is a very fitting word. This was really touching to raed on both fronts. I hope your little family had a nice day together. xx

diane said...

Happy Fathers Day, David!!!


Your dad would be SUPER proud os you, Amanda. Touching words...

Cat Herself said...

Sweet tribute to your father. Very sweet. Love the pics of baby E!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...